Picking a Film, Part 3

Superhero something
1) The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008, 152m, 82, D)

2) Spider-Man (Sam Raimi, 2002, 121m, 73, D)

3) Superman II (Richard Lester, 1980, 127 m, 99, D)

Vote here: http://poll.fm/40dp0

Vote by the end of our next class Thursday, Dec. 6.

About Kevin L. Ferguson

Assistant Professor of English and Director of Writing at Queens
This entry was posted in Prof. Ferguson. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Picking a Film, Part 3

1. How did we end up with superhero movies?! I was expecting something different…

2. amelia daly says:

Hey, I am not against Batman or Democracy. Ha ha! It is still a surprise

3. Anonymous says:

I’m just all shocked. Who would vote for superhero movies? HAHA. I guess lots of people.

4. Raj says:

It’s interesting that democracy led to TDK’s selection as our final film, considering that one of the themes explored in Nolan’s Batman trilogy is the response to a failed democratic state, one where “the structures fail you, and the rules aren’t weapons anymore” (TDKR). Throughout the three films we’re presented with the authoritarian vigilante, the anarchist, and finally the fascist. For all three archetypes the rules have failed and must be ignored (which, to be fair Batman was cognizant of hence the Harvey Dent situation, but I digress.) Anyway, in the spirit of the Dark Knight eschewing democracy/the rules perhaps the person presenting on the last day should make the heroic (or villainous) move of selecting for us to watch whatever film s/he wishes to discuss.

5. I voted for Spider-Man because I figured the majority vote would go to TDK. Though this is a terrible reason for my choice, it is the truth. Ultimately, TDK is a superior film that explores a multitude of themes, as well as implores various adaptive techniques. Through its use of the character’s iconography, Nolan and company create a fantastic movie, and I hope to examine it with a more refined adaptive lens. In doing this, I really want to play closer attention to James Gordon and his relationship to Gotham, Batman, and the police (law). This is broad, but I think James Gordon is a very interesting and rich character that is a middle ground of everyone from Gotham, Batman, the Joker, and the police.